Upgrading an Existing Configuration Database
If you are upgrading from an earlier product version, you should create a separate environment for the new configuration database. Upgrading an existing configuration database is a three-stage process:
- Populate a new configuration database.
- Extract the upgrade package from the AppStudio platform upgrade ZIP file.
- Upgrade the new configuration database.
Database versions and upgrade paths
The following table describes the upgrade paths for AppStudio versions 6.x and 7.x:
|Current Version||Upgrade Steps|
|7.x||Run the 8.x program DatabaseUpgrader.exe.|
Upgrade in two stages:
The procedures in this section assume you are upgrading a 7.x configuration database. For more information about upgrading versions 6.x or earlier, contact AppStudio Professional Services.
Populate a new configuration database
Create a configuration database and populate it with the data of the existing database:
- Connect to the server that hosts the current 7.x database.
- Back up the 7.x database.
- Create an empty database with a unique name. The name should clearly differentiate this new database from the version 7.x database—for example, AppStudioDB8x.
- Restore the database backup to the new database. This populates the new database with configuration data of existing AppStudio applications.
Extract the upgrade package
The upgrade package is located in the AppStudio platform upgrade ZIP file. You can download the platform upgrade ZIP file from the download page.
To extract the upgrade package from the upgrade ZIP file:
Open the platform upgrade ZIP file.
Extract the DatabaseUpgrader.zip file. This file is located in the Upgrader directory:
- Save the DatabaseUpgrade.zip file to the machine where you are installing the AppStudio database.
Upgrade the new configuration database
The AppStudio upgrade program updates the new configuration database to version 8.x: it builds new tables, alters existing tables, and migrates configuration data.
Upgrade the database to version 8.x as follows:
- From the location you extracted the DatabaseUpgrader.zip file, run the upgrade program:
On Windows 7, run the upgrade as administrator.
- In the Upgrade AppStudio Database dialog, set the following fields:
- Server: Set to the name of the server hosting the AppStudio database.
- Choose an authentication type: Windows authentication, or SQL Server authentication. If you choose SQL Server authentication, supply login information—user name and password—with permissions to alter database objects.
- Database: Set to the new database.
- Target Version: Set to the latest version.
- Click Run.